“Help! My loved one is in jail and I want to bail him or her out of jail ASAP, but what type of bail bond do I need? There are all these different kinds!”
San Francisco Bail Bond Store is here to help break it down for you with the quickest, simplest description because we do not want you to waste too much time reading extra information.
- Own Recognizance – when a defendant is released from jail and simply signs a promise to return to court. No financial payment is required. Eligibility for own recognizance release is up to the judge.
- Cash Bond – the judge will determine the bail of the defendant, the amount of money owed in order to be released from jail. The defendant can pay the entire thing in cash. He or she will need to show up for all court appointments, and their cash can be returned to them at the end of the trial.
- Bail Bond – also known as a surety bond. Used when the defendant cannot or would rather not use a cash bond. A third party professional bail bond company gets involved and will charge the defendant a premium, 10% of the bail amount that will not be returned at the end of trial. The defendant will need to show up for court or is subject to paying off the entire bail, losing collateral, and getting taken back into custody. For many, this is the more desired solution.
- Property Bond, when property like homes and cars are at stake to secure release. If the defendant skips court or disobeys any other release terms, the court will take ownership of the property that was pledged. Not used as often as cash or bail bonds.
- Immigration Bond – reserved only for those who are immigrants, documented or undocumented, and involves ICE. Similar to a bail bond and the defendant will need to appear for immigration hearings at court.